Tuesday, January 31, 2006

Uli's Famous Sausage ~ Seattle, Wa (Pike Place Mkt)

While visiting Pike Place Market, I stopped by the Uli's Famous Sausage stand for a quick bite to eat.
I love sausage, it's gotta be in my genes. Something about the smell, texture, flavor, and taste send me back to family holidays. The only thing I like better than sausage is bacon, but that's another post for another time...

What we ate:

Lunch: Polska Kielbasa, South African Boerewors
~ I wasn't really sure which to pick, as there are, what, 27 varieties?! I knew I wanted to compare my taste memory of the kielbasa at R & D sausage on Waterloo in Cleveland to this guy's stuff. It's pretty close to some of the best sausage I've ever had. Something about the fresh flavors and spice sent me. Oh, and the garlic? No kissing anyone else today, unless they were eating the same thing!
The boerewors was just as flavorful as the kielbasa, but the coriander made it really stand out. This was important, as I received my sausage in a plate, already cut and mixed together. It was annoying, because I wasn't sure I'd be able to tell which was which. wrong... I wasn't really a fan of the Boerewors, mostly due to the coriander. I think it was a bit overpowering, and not something that I could grow used to...
Fresh Polish Kielbassa $6.49 per lb.
South African Boerewors $6.99 per lb.

Before we left Seattle, we stopped back to pick up some take-away.
After some hemming and hawing, we picked the Boudin Blanc ($6.99/#) and Thuringer Rostbratwurst ($6.49/#). We cooked these during the super bowl, and they were well received. Everyone was surprised at the boudin blanc. A beautifully white sausage with flecks of rice, meat and spice. This was impressively hot and garlicky. The Thuringer was another story. Thuringers are named for the former German region of Thuringia, and often include corriander and such. They can be dried, which is how I've had them before. Uli's was fresh and dense. Oh, the flavor was so good. It was the closest in texture to what I love- dense, almost fat-less sausages with so much flavor, you're better off eating only a small portion.

1511 Pike Place Market, Seattle, WA 98101 206.839.1000
www.ulisfamoussausage.com

R&D Sausage ~ 15714 Waterloo Rd. ~ 216-692-1832

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home