Wednesday, February 01, 2006

Tulio ~ Seattle, Wa

In trying to find a good place to eat within walking distance of our hotel in Seattle, we were surprised at the slim pickings.

I looked into Cascadia, which I had just read a review about in the 2/06 issue of Gourmet. They, unfortunately, were refinishing their floors. I asked the reservationist for some advise and took one of her first suggestions- Tulio.

Tulio's a charming restaurant with an old-world setting and demeanor that is in line with it's top-shelf preparation of plates.
After looking over one of the most extensive (and frightening) wine lists (only the French Laundry's hardbound list confused me more) we couldn't decide on which of the dozens of dozens of italian wines to go with. Due to paralysis of choice, we settled on Pelegrino and lime...

What we ate:
Apps:
Grilled Calamari, Lavender Sausage and Chickpeas 10.00

I thought I had eaten good calamari before. This was an elevated version with locally made sausage. The light delicate lavendar brought out some of the sweetness in the squid and chickpeas. Well done!

Primi:
Orecchiette “Little Ears”, Spicy Italian Sausage, Rapini, Light Tomato Sauce and Reggiano 14.00
Butternut Squash Malfatti, Baby Spinach, Amaretti, and Brown Butter 13.00

Oh the malfatti. I couldn't get enough of this. The only reason I didn't devour the whole plate was that it was my wife's order. My pasta dish was so reminiscent of an arrabiata that I would not hesitate to call it such. Appetite whetting spicy goodness.


Swordfish Special
Dry Aged Ribeye, Porcini Salted Potatoes and Gorgonzola Dolci 28.00
I must admit that I have never ordered a ribeye in a restaurant, but if they are all like this, I'll order one everytime. The most flavorful cut I've had in a long time. The rub was piquant and nicely salty, the sweet gorgonzola was out of this world.

Dessert and such:
A lil' bit of V.S.O.P.
~ a la Above The Law

Crostata Pralissimo Praline Cream Tart layered with Ganache and Caramel, and Orange-Chocolate Sorbetto 8.00
A bit above my sweet tooth, but not nail-in-the-forehead sweet. Crispy, creamy, delightfully playful. Fabulous sorbetto!


Overall:
A pricey night out, but worth the cost. Excellent service, impeccable food, warm and inviting atmosphere.

1100 Fifth Ave. Seattle WA 98101 206.624.5500

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home